Saturday, April 17, 2010

I've Still Got Miles To Go.

I have lived in Redding, CA my entire life. I have lived at home, in Redding, every year of my 21 years, and have grown comfortable being surrounded by family and familiarity. This is all about to change. Drastically. In two month's time, the security blanket that is my hometown will be dragged behind the bumper of my gas-efficient sedan as I make the move to San Francisco with my two favorite people, one of which is my soul mate and the other, her other half. I can't imagine moving with anyone else other than them, and I look forward to this journey together, but honestly, in all honesty, I am scared shitless.



And it's not even that I'm afraid, because I have always credited myself for living without fear. I am not afraid of anything; snakes, spiders, heights, the dark, or death. However, I find myself shaking in my oxfords thinking about leaving and wishing that I could bring my family, dog, gym membership, The Petty's, and my job in broadcasting with me. I know I have to get out of Redding eventually, because the thought of dying here and buried in rumors is enough to make me ill, but I really had no idea that the eventual uprooting would be so deliciously overwhelming.


And I say "deliciously", because it is delicious. I am in love with the Bay area and in love with the clear thought that I will find an adventure around every corner. I will be minutes away from At&t Park, across the bay from 924 Gilman St., not to mention the fashion, free thinking, and music scene that is flourishing there. I will also be a short commute away from one of my best friends, which will mean many drinks, shopping trips, and sleepovers.

Until then, I am spending as much time at home as possible. While watching my baby sister's softball game today, my mother and I talked about it for the first time. I think her and I are both in denial about the fact that I will be finally out of the house. She has been my best friend my entire life, leaving me that girl at the sleepover who called her mama to come home, not being able to suffer through a night away from home. I am trying my hardest to not be that little girl anymore and it is going to take all of her support to get me there.

But I will get there. I will get there and fall in love with every opportunity before me.

Watch out San Francisco. I am coming for you.
Shine
XO



No comments:

Post a Comment